What is Trello?
Managing a project is never an easy task. Your leadership skills and creativity are always put to test. You are expected to deliver tasks with the highest standards and the strictest of deadlines. However, there are instances when certain challenges take place during the project implementation.
What should you do whenever this occurs? Are you armed with enough data and pieces of evidence to support your justification of the delays? Could you identify which particular phase the lag is apparent? Could you name the team members who might have overlooked their responsibilities?
Without a system that tracks and monitors these components, it would be very difficult. Trello could be the answer you are waiting to solve your project management woes. It is a software designed and developed to allow project managers and team members to collaborate and work together.
As a project management and collaboration system, it uses boards and cards. The first one captures the details of the projects, while the second one gives an overview of the identified tasks for each project. In short, inside the boards are cards. Several members, based on a project’s requirements, are added to a board. These members can give out their thoughts about the cards where they have been assigned. Discussions can be done in real-time.
As project managers, it is your desire that an app would give you all the most important benefits you need. With Trello, you can experience the following:
1. Mobile access. Unlike other software, Trello can be accessed via a mobile gadget since it can be downloaded from the App Store for iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Play Store for devices that run on Android.
2. The website is accessible everywhere. When you want to access the software’s website, you can do so using any browser.
3. Easy to use. When trying out an app for the first time, it is imperative that it is easy to use because if not, you might no longer want to use it again. With Trello, this is not a problem. Its interface is user-friendly, making the first experience with it pleasantly surprising.
4. Real-time notifications and updates. Whenever someone in the team uploads a file or moves something, you will get notified right away. What is also good about it is that it sends notifications to all your devices.
5. Unlimited invitations. If you want to add more members to your team, no need to worry about it since you can add as many members as you can with Trello.
6. Unlimited boards, cards, and teams. The software offers unlimited boards, cards, and teams. Therefore, you can create as many of them as you can with no hassle at all.
7. You can avail of basic services for free. Hence, you may take your time in familiarizing the app while you are still thinking it over if you need an upgrade or a business type of subscription.
As a project management and collaboration system, it can never be denied that it offers impressive features and packed with helpful Power-Up integrations. It is likewise useful in knowing what is being done at the moment, who is doing what, and how the tasks are going on at one glance.
Its simple interface makes you understand easily the current state of the project you are handling. It is capable of giving you as well an overview of where the lags could be found. As a result, you will be prompted on the steps that you must take in order to avoid delays and possible failure in the implementation.
- By offering a free version, which you can actually use forever, Trello helps those enterprises that are only starting out to manage their projects more conveniently without requiring them a penny for an app
- The simple UI makes its use more friendly, with interactions and discussions running smoothly
- User tagging is helpful in getting the attention of the concerned member
- You do not have to be on a desktop to access your Trello account, as everything can be accessed through your mobile device
- You are updated of your teammates’ whereabouts relative to the project/s you are handling
- It is relatively cheaper compared to other project management and collaboration software available these days
- Text and other visuals can fit in any screen size
- Progress could not be presented in graphs, which is a better way of visualizing the status of the tasks
- Progress could not be monitored by the user, by task, or by milestone
Overall, Trello can be your best option to manage projects and collaborate with your team. Despite having competitors in the market, its price vis-à-vis the features it offers must be the main reasons why you should pick it.
As to how the app’s developer has put it, Trello might look simple on the surface, but, it is actually packed with remarkable features under the hood.
Boards. With this feature, you may handle different projects at the same time. You are not limited to creating only a few boards which may sometimes discourage you from using a certain project management software.
Cards. In every project, many tasks have to be completed in order to achieve the targets. With cards, you can create and assign tasks with no limits.
When you open a card, the things you can do seem endless. You can add comments and labels, do some checklists, upload files, set due dates, and a lot more.
Members. Limits in membership is not a problem. If you think that you need to involve this much number of team members, you can always do that.
Discussion. Discussions about the projects are made fun and exciting with Trello. Just like using your social media account, you can attach a file, mention a member, or send an emoji through this project management and collaboration system.
Notification System. This particular feature is another reason why you should consider it to manage your projects – from the planning stage until the implementation and monitoring and evaluation phases. Its notification system is designed to instantly inform the members whenever an important update comes in.
Checklists and Due Dates. This features works as if you have a notebook and pen to crush out a task or a schedule whenever it is done.
SSL Encryption of Data. When using the app, you are assured that all information and data that pass through the web server and browser have remained secure and private.
Data Filtering. Trello’s filtering system enables its users to search for files and information easier and more convenient.
Aside from these regular features, you likewise have an option to boost your overall experience while using it. You may choose specific power-ups to be added to your business account. These are organized into different categories for easy selection. They have add-ons for Analytics and Reporting, Automation, Board Utilities, Communication and Collaboration, Developer Tools, File Management, HR and Operations, IT and Project Management, Marketing and Social Media, Product and Design, and Sales and Support.
Among these helpful power-ups are the following:
Butler. If you want your buttons to be customized and your boards to be automated with rules and schedules commands, this power-up can be used.
InVision. This can help you with your editing needs while using Trello in project management.
Calendar. This will help you in visualizing your cards in a calendar view.
Google Drive. You may access project files from your Drive directly from any Trello cards. You may also create and attach automatically new Drive files from a card.
Voting. When you want your members to truly feel that they are part of the project management team, you need to give them a voice, right? With the add-on, you can allow users to have their thoughts heard by voting on cards.
Slack. In any project, it is highly important that you keep your communication lines open. With Slack, you can communicate regularly without worrying about missing a vital input which may impede collaborative efforts.
Booklet by Vince. Considered as the Swiss Knife of Trello, you can use this feature to expertly sort, export, and convert checklists.
Pipedrive. Are you tired of manually creating cards whenever you start, close, or move a deal in your sales at a given period? Pipedrive can help you with that.
This add-on automatically creates cards for you during these instances.
Zoho CRM. If you have difficulty tracking your leads, this Trello Power-Up will assist you by attaching new and existing records to cards.
Survey Monkey. Attach survey results to your cards real quick to make sure that you are updated with the latest survey statistics.
SmartDraw. To plot your project status more artistically and easier to understand, you can utilize this feature to produce diagrams.
Card Aging. Find out which cards have not been moving for quite a time, while tracking which tasks are still incomplete.
You may choose from any of the three available pricing schemes of Trello:
Free. When the developer says that you can use it for free, it means that you have access to it forever.
The following are the inclusions of the free plan:
- Access to boards, cards, lists, members, checklists, and attachments are unlimited
- Enjoy a Power-Up for each board
- Get a maximum of 10MBof attachments from your computer. This can also be a file linked from your Dropbox, On, or Google Drive
Business Class. If you want app integrations, track team overviews, and ensure tighter security, you may choose the Business Class subscription. You only need to pay $9.99 per user each month when paid annually.
Aside from the features included in the free version, you can enjoy the following, too:
- Access to Power-Ups is unlimited. You may avail of add-ons likeGoogle Hangouts, Jira, Slack, Google Drive, Salesforce, Dropbox, and many other integrations
- Enjoy a maximum of 250MB for the files you are going to attach
- Use Collections in grouping and organizing the boards of your team members
- Easy and quick process in removing past members
- Limit access to certain members who can initiate public or private boards to maintain privacy
- Maintain the privacy of your company’s information by restricting membership invitations
- Personalize your boards by using custom stickers and backgrounds
- Fast response from a human email support whenever you have concerns. Being a priority, you can expect your much-awaited answer within a day, during office hours
Enterprise. If you are managing several Trello projects and you belong to a large company, the Enterprise package is best for you. For $20.83 or less per user each month (when paid annually), you can already maximize the following features, apart from those offered under the Business type subscription:
- Get access to all your SAML IdPswith only one Sign-On facility
- Keep all your project’s data secure by enabling the 2-Factor Authentication
- Get customized onboarding assistance on migration, execution, and adoption of all materials
- Since you are subscribed to the highest Trello package, you can receive answers quickly when you inform the developer of a concern. With priority email and phone support, you can anticipate a response in less than 1 business day, and that is guaranteed
- Get the latest about the comprehensive legal contract review and enhanced SLA
- You can customize your security review
- The improved software monitoring ensures that intruders are detected immediately
- iOS (iPhone and iPad)
- Open API
- Monthly Subscription
- Annual Payment
- Quote-based Rates
- Small Businesses
- Medium Businesses
- Large Enterprises
Training. The developer provides free online training for the subscribers to maximize their subscription by knowing everything about Trello and how each function or feature operates.
Ticket. Whenever you have concerns, you can send tickets to the technical support team so that appropriate actions can be made.
Assigning tasks to a number of team members as well as tracking their outputs and the status of their compliance is part of the most challenging responsibilities of a project manager. However, with the help of a software like Trello, doing your job becomes easier and more manageable.