Most budding entrepreneurs look out for cheap hosting options as a part of their entry-level hosting requirements considering it as an easy way to take their first step in the online business community. Basic shared hosting plans may be a good option as a starter pack, but in order to progress in the online business market, it is essential to promote to higher plans such as the Virtual Private Servers. This is a better and more reliable web hosting option as it is flexible and makes way for a seamless flow of business.
There are numerous VPS service providers in the market, each with their own set of features and pricing plans but very few players like 1&1 have been able to make a marked impact with their outstanding services and customer-friendly approach. These help small to medium-sized businesses to have a profound and far-reaching online presence at a price that can be afforded by potential businessmen of all size.
What is VPS?
VPS hosting provides users with the much-needed back-end access so as to enable themselves to allocate resources as per their requirements such as disk space, processing power, and memory. In simple words, it is nothing but segregation of physical server hardware into several virtual servers. This means that a single physical server is split into smaller virtual parts. Since the user gets the complete root access to the server, it can be changed as per his need.
It is basically a hosting environment that replicates the services produced by other servers like shared hosting with dedicated server resources. A VPS consists of a separate operating system with dedicated RAM and CPU and storage system. It can be considered as a median between dedicated hosting and shared hosting. If you are looking for robust service with faster page speed and security at an affordable rate, then VPS hosting should be the ultimate option.
What to look for in VPS Hosting?
In a way, VPS hosting provides the best of the dedicated server and shared hosting combined together. There are minimal chances of downtime or your website slowing down as you will have a server solely dedicated to your needs.
- Type of VPS Hosting offered: There are two kinds of VPS hosting service that can be provided, one is Managed Hosting and the other Unmanaged Hosting. In the former, the service provider will perform all the back-end tasks for you including resource management, backing up uploaded files, virus scanning etc. While the latter puts the back-end management in the responsibility of the user. If you are tech-savvy, you may well opt for unmanaged hosting as you can add the services yourself and also that it is cost-effective than the previous option. But always enquire about the type of management tool used by the service provider (most uses cPanel) so that you can know whether you are familiar with such tool.
- Server uptime: You would not want to hire a service provider that experiences downtime frequently. Check for the uptime guarantee offered by the service provider so that you can ensure the smooth and efficient running of your website. While most feature a 99.99% uptime guarantee, some offer a bit lower but that too at a lower price. Even f you are suffering from budget constraint does not hire a service provider offering lower than 99.95% uptime guarantee.
- Cost: Many users consider the cost factor as their primary considering while choosing a VPS host but this can be turn out to be detrimental in the long run. With the expectation of saving a few cents, you may end up receiving sub-standard service in the form of frequent downtimes and lousy support, ultimately resulting in loss of business. So, even if you are thinking of hiring a cheap hosting service make sure they provide a money-back guarantee in case of an emergency so that you get the chance to back out if you are unsatisfied with their service.
- Customer support: Only looking at the number of features offered is not enough to label the service provider as reliable. The after-sales customer support is also an essential condition for selection. Make sure the VPS host assures 24/7 customer support so that you can reach out to them in cases of emergency. Reputed hosting companies have different modes of support in the form of social-media contact, phone, email etc. So, opt for a service provider which features a varied range of customer support options.
Features of 1&1 VPS Hosting
1&1 do not boast of providing tons of unlimited features. Instead, they are known for some excellent features at remarkably low prices.
- Uptime and Reliability: This is one of the principal benefits that 1&1 provides. Though no significant information about the uptime of 1&1 can be found on their website, analytical tools have declared their uptime to be 99.99% which is way high than the industry average. With daily backups, password protection of directories, and the use of cutting-edge server hardware, 1&1 can ensure reliable service to their users with improved performance and website protection in case of failure.
- Ease of use: The packages and features offered by 1&1 are readily available on their website and you won’t have to hunt here and there to know about their services. They will also provide a collection of several essential tools that are necessary for hosting and running a website successfully. So, you will be able to access their VPS hosting services with just a few clicks.
- High-class security: Even the lowest plan of 1&1 includes DDoS protection, 1&1 SiteLock, and an SSL Certificate. Moreover, since they have several data centers across the globe, there is a benefit of geo-redundancy which means that if a particular server fails, your website will automatically get switched to another server with negligible or no downtime. The SSL Certificate that credit cards, password, and other sensitive information remain encrypted while the same is being transferred between the user and the host.
- Scaling performance with ease: Scaling the performance of your website has been made easy with the secure administration of 1&1 VPS hosting. You can opt to add some extra power to your website depending on the traffic attracted. Accordingly, you can choose the desired plan that best suits your purpose. So, be prepared to scale up if your website is generating low-performance levels.
- Latest technologies: 1&1 VPS hosting platform has been built on advanced technologies ensuring that their users get the best of the services. The latest PHP version equipped with a memory limit of 768 MB indicates that your website is more secure and faster.
Exact time to switch to VPS hosting
Most users prefer VPS because of their primary benefit of availability of a plethora of resources and option to manage the server according to need-specific requirements. The option of shared hosting is suitable at the initial stages of a business, but with progress in the services, it is necessary to upgrade to higher plans such as VPS hosting for improved performance and smooth functioning of the website activities.
Now, you must be thinking about the right time to switch to VPS hosting. Well, below are some of the situations when you should consider promoting to VPS from shared hosting –
Excessive traffic: If your website is receiving heavy traffic on a regular basis and you are finding it difficult to maintain the speed and performance of your website then it is time that you upgrade your current plan to VPS hosting. This indicates the fact that you are overconsuming the resources that you have in hand and it is a reminder that you need to upgrade.
Increase in website loading time: With shared hosting, multiple sites are hosted on a single server which means that if any site consumes more bandwidth then all the other associated sites will perform slow. This might result in downtime, network failure, decreased loading speed, and much more. This mandates the hiring of VPS Hosting in which you will have a private server of your own which you can manage according to your needs and preferences.
Running an e-commerce website: Since an e-commerce website requires a certificate for PCI compliance for enabling payments through credit card, it is necessary to have VPS hosting. A VPS provides you the facility of having a separate operating system for a website that will help to meet the requirements for PCI compliance.
Server root access: The primary benefit which can be availed from VPS hosting service is that of a private server. Shared hosting service does not allow the service receiver to make any alterations to the server functionalities which is not so in case of VPS hosting. The latter provides its users with the benefit of a feature commonly known as the server root access.
Security and Reliability: Since VPS hosting allows its users to own a private server the chances of getting hacked and confidential information being leaked out to third parties is minimal. This facility is desired by almost all web hosting service receivers, primarily if the business is managed and operated online.
Service unavailability error: Sometimes you might come across an error showing 503 service unavailable which indicates that your website is not able to meet the requirements of the users. This condition occurs especially when the site touches the limited application space in case of Windows Hosting or the maximum restriction in concurrent connection for Linux Hosting.
1&1 has segregated its packages keeping in mind the requirements of the different class of users. The pricing packages of 1&1 start with Virtual server S and ranges up to Virtual Server XXL. While the former is suitable for small business enterprises, the latter is more appropriate for big business giants. The features available with each pricing plan are as follows –
- Virtual Server S: Priced at $4.99 per month for the first 12 months and then increasing to $10 per month, this plan provides a space of 30GB with 1core CPU and 512 MB RAM. This is considered to be a starter pack for most VPS service users.
- Virtual Server M: Costs $4.99 per month for the initial period of 12 months which gets increased to $10 per month thereafter. It features a 1vCore CPU with 1GB RAM and 50GB SSD. This is suitable for small to medium-sized website operations.
- Virtual Server L: With 2vCore CPU and 2GB RAM and 80GB hard disk space this is a plan superior to the Virtual Server M plan. This plan is rated at $9.99 per month for the first 12 months which escalates to $20 per month thereafter. This is most suitable for medium to large scale operations.
- Virtual Server XL: At $19.99 per month this plan is highly recommended for all business entrepreneurs. It provides a SSD space of 1.5 times and a RAM twice as that of the Virtual Server L. the price of the plan gets increased to $30 per month after the first 6 months of its subscription.
- Virtual Server XXL: The RAM and SSD space offered in this plan is much higher than the inferior Virtual Server XL plan. At a price of $29.99 per month, it features 4 vCores CPU with 8GB RAM and 160GB space. This plan is most suitable for online business giants who attract a tremendous amount of traffic for their website.
So, if you are planning to the hire the services of 1&1 study each package in detail and select the one which best suits your purpose.
Add-ons included with every package
Apart from the plan-specific features that 1&1 offers for its varied range of services, there are some add-on features as well which are a part of every package right from the basic VPS S to the premium VPS XXL. The features that are available with all the plans include –
- 1 SSL Certificate
- Plesk Onyx
- 99% availability
- 24/7 customer support
- 100% SSD storage
- Root Access
These are complementary features that can be taken advantage of by every user hiring the services of 1&1. In fact, the add-ons provided are very much essential for the efficient and effective operations of the website. SO, make sure that you consider these features as well when you are screening for selecting a suitable package for your website.
Technical support details
While most of the customer support services are outsourced by 1&1 making it a bit complicated to address the issues of clients and customers, they feature other support options compensating for the limitation in live chat support. Customers can contact the representatives of 1&1 either through email or phone 24/7 and any queries or grievances of customers are addressed at the earliest. There is also a public forum where previous and existing customers can share their experience and suggestions making it possible for improvement in services. An extensive FAQ section allows users to get their queries and problems resolved without having to contact the customer support team of 1&1.
1&1 VPS Hosting customer base
Though there is no specific class of customers for VPS hosting and the actual type that avail such service is limitless, it has been observed that few customer profiles are more prevalent with 1&1 VPS hosting and these are as follows –
- Music enthusiasts who require more storage
- Gamers (especially RPG and Casino)
- App developers
- Businesses houses offering content writing service
- Website owners which are driven by large database
- Sites generating leads.
The list is the inclusive as there are various other customers as well who avail the service of 1&1 VPS hosting. The remarkable quality of service offered by 1&1 is what draws others to take advantage of their services.
The Final Verdict
Though there seems to be some lack in the services of 1&1, it can be a fair choice for small and medium-sized businessmen looking to have their website up and running for a fair market share. Moreover, you need to explore a bit in order to find a suitable package for your hosting requirements. You may also compare the available alternatives before settling for a particular plan with 1&1. But despite such limitations, 1&1 continues to be a reliable VPS hosting service provider in the market for the year 2018 and hopefully will improve its position for the years to come.
Best 1&1 Virtual Private Server Review in 2019
There are numerous VPS hosting service providers in the market but very few can match up to the expectations of potential customers. It is, therefore, necessary to explore all the pros and cons of these hosting companies before deciding to hire the services of any specific company.
Below is the list of top VPS hosting companies which have made it to the top 20 for the current year. The list includes –
- Inmotion Hosting
- Liquid Web
- A2 Hosting
- Hosting Raja