Remote Support Software – An Introduction
Remote support software describes tools and solutions that enable an IT technician or administrator to connect to a remote computer from their console via the Internet, and work directly on the remote computer, diagnosing problems and resolving issues. Although its main focus is enabling access to computers located anywhere in the world, remote support applications also include capabilities like file transfer, desktop sharing, file synchronisation or the issuing of programming commands.
|ConnectWise Control||$19/mo||Visit website|
|ConnectWise Automate||$19/mo||Visit website|
|Zoho Assist||Free||Visit website|
|Eltima software||–||Visit website|
The 10 Most Popular Remote Support Software Solutions
1. ConnectWise Control is a cloud-based operations management tool that allows users to perform automatic support, gain remote access and run remote meetings. It acts as a meeting point for customers and technicians, enabling them to receive and provide solutions without phone or chat sessions.
Users are able to remotely view and control devices, servers, or workstations, and can create and manage sessions from a customisable and brand-able central control panel. ConnectWise Control allows users to gain access to unattended servers or devices, which help them install and upgrade customer computers without requiring manually-enabled connections.
The platform’s remote meeting and presentation feature allows users to share their screen with one or more individuals. Users can collaborate with team members, provide project updates, conduct training sessions, and make presentations. It offers a mobile application for Android and iOS devices.
2. ConnectWise Automate formerly known as LabTech, is a leading global provider of remote monitoring, management and automation software for IT service providers. Automate helps significantly improve operational productivity and efficiency by leveraging the power of IT automation, with functionality that can take care of any repetitive IT maintenance task or process, monitor mission-critical network components, and automatically run auto-remediation programs.
The software helps identify issues and blind spots in a support environment, making sure that they are eliminated before they become a problem. It also specialises in eliminating delivery road blocks, helping IT teams respond to requests accurately, and in time.
3. Techinline FixMe.IT is a remote support app that enables instant connections between remote computers located anywhere in the world. The solution offers users the ability to deliver remote support faster and easier than ever before, with a connection process which allows users to request and approve remote access to their machines seamlessly.
FixMe.IT offers a wide range of features, including unattended access, file transfer, multi-session handling, auto reboot and reconnect, multi-monitor navigation, clipboard sharing, instant chat, session reporting and recording, and more. The solution ensures the highest level of security for its users and allows IT professionals to easily and securely resolve technical issues without pre-installing software.
4. Surfly is an advanced co-browsing/web-sharing technology which makes sharing web-sessions very simple. There is no need to download extra software, plugins or any configuration. Surfly can be used as a free service via Surfly.com., or it can be integrated into existing apps or webpages. It can also be used as sales, support, and presentation tool.
This co-browsing solution allows two or more people to browse a webpage together remotely, helping companies to improve their customer experience, customer loyalty and satisfaction. It can be integrated into an organisation’s existing live chat solution or web application,
Apart from the free service, there is a subscription based model, with monthly, annual or a one-time payment options. An open API is also provided.
5. Bomgar Remote Support is a cloud-based or on premise secure access and remote support solution, which offers remote support, privileged access and vault modules within a suite. Key features include customer support, help desk administration, internal IT support, collaboration and monitoring. It is suitable for businesses of all sizes.
The privileged access module allows users to create accounts and monitor and record sessions in real-time. Users can set up a remote connection to view and control remote desktops, network devices and servers. Bomgar’s other features include sessions forensics for compliance, cloud infrastructure management, authorisation, notification and credentials management.
The vault module is an enterprise password manager that enables users to store passwords, find privileged credentials and shareadmin passwords. The solution integrates with a number of third party applications, and is available through monthly subscription.
6. Toonimo offers a cloud-based platform that enables businesses to showcase the key features of their websites by acting as a pathfinder to site visitors. It is a Saas (Software-as-a-service) platform which enables organisations to add an overlay of human voice and custom graphics to engage visitors, showcase key offers, and guide users through website funnels. With Toonimo, visitors experience a website as if someone was sat next to them, personally guiding them on how to complete a form, or use a product or platform.
Toonimo offers a comprehensive analytics dashboard in order to track user engagement and conversions. An intelligent decision engine personalises the web experience, encouraging self- service, and improved user engagement.
The software enables organisations to increase sale, reduce customer support costs and personally guide customers through complex online sale processes.
7. Zoho Assist is a one-stop solution for remote support, screen-sharing and remote access. One of the industry’s most secure, reliable and affordable solutions, Zoho Assist requires no prior installation of software and can be run entirely on a web browser. It is designed for outsourced and MSP (Managed Service Provider) IT support, customer support, and IT help desks. It supports all major operating systems, and works well with firewalls and proxies.
Zoho Assist enables any remote computer to be rebooted with a simple click and reconnected to a session without losing control. It also allows for rebooting in safe mode. There is a free edition for professional support needs, with a monthly fee for additional technicians.
8. TeamViewer is probably the best known of all remote support software solutions. It is available in nearly every country, and supports more than 30 languages. TeamViewer is suitable for businesses of any size, and can be deployed in the cloud as well as on premise. There is a free version of the software available, and a free trial for paid software.
The solution is an online meeting and video conferencing platform that connects to any PC, mobile and server globally. Features include document management, creative writing, invitation management, remote control, screen sharing, chat and messaging. The program’s instant messaging functionality includes offline messaging, group chat, web-based chat, persistent chat, customer-initiated chat from service cases, and chat history. The platform provides end-to-end encryption, and full support for mobile devices.
TeamViewer uses cloud-based technologies to collaborate in real-time worldwide, and enables online support through a wide ranging product portfolio that includes Blizz (online collaboration), IT Brain (anti-malware), and Monitis (website monitoring).
9. PlayVox is Quality Assurance software that offers enterprises a smart platform from which to monitor customer service and support interactions across different communication channels, including chat, email, phone and social media. PlayVox incorporates personalised filters, customisable scorecards, and advanced reporting. The solution aims to deliver a user-friendly quality assurance solution for customer service agents.
The solution is a Saas (Software-as-a-service) product that focuses on providing gamified workforce optimisation tools, specifically designed for service, sales, and support contact centres. Working with companies like Groupon and Telefonica, PlayVox is able to reduce agent training costs, and help maximise sales and service performance.
The software integrates agent performance management with social collaboration solutions in order to improve agent productivity and engagement. PlayVox supports many different data sources, including Salesforce, Five9 and Zendesk.
10. HelpWire is a unique remote assistance tool based on advanced port visualisation. The solution is designed to help reduce the cost of technical support and time invested in handling customer issues.
The program makes it simple for engineers to control and support their customer’s equipment remotely. With the software, technical specialists are able to get full access to a malfunctioning device by connecting to it over the network (Ethernet, WI-Fi, the Internet). The remote device will appear in the expert’s computer as though it were physically attached to the specialist’s machine itself.
The solution is offered with a custom GUI (Graphical User Interface) and a set of advanced features designed to meet customer needs. It is easy to use and requires no additional hardware or software.
This remote assistance solution eliminates the need for onsite services which allows experts to significantly increase the speed of response to customer needs. Helpwire supports multiple operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Linux and Android.
Choosing the best Remote Support software
Choosing the best remote control solution relies mostly on individual needs, as different applications provide remote capabilities in a variety of ways. There are multiple factors to consider when deciding on an appropriate tool, including:
Branding Options – look for a solution that allows users to customise an application’s design, and add their own logo and colours to it;
Cost – will always be a factor, and should take into account licensing conditions, and upgrade and maintenance costs, which will sometimes be hidden in vendor terms and conditions;
Customer Support – an ideal remote software vendor offers 24/7 support including email, Live Chat, phone, Twitter etc.
Security and data protection – do some research beforehand and make sure that a proposed solution has not been hacked or compromised in any way, and that clients have full control over the connection process; and
Usability – the platform should be easy to use and understand, especially by non-tech savvy clients. The remote connection should be fast, and the tool should offer an extensive set of remote control features.
Types of Remote Control Software
There are three broad generic types of remote control software:
Cloud-hosted – an increasing popular option, because clients do not have to install the software or worry about update and maintenance issues. All that is required for remote access is a web-browser and a stable internet connection;
Commercial solutions – normally include a remote client program to communicate and access any device. They facilitate internal communication and will typically include advanced functionality such as multi-monitor support, compliance procedures etc.; and
Low-cost utilities – there are a few free or very low cost solutions available that still offer advanced functionality and features.
Remote control software makes it possible for IT professionals and administrators to connect to desktops, laptops, servers and other devices to manage networks and provide support, saving money, times and resources. However, in an evolving IT environment, the business requirements for remote control software are also changing. Today a remote control solution must meet the needs of a diverse workforce, deploy solutions across many different users using a multiplicity of devices and operating systems, and provide extensive security.