Best Introduction – Industry-Specific Help Desk Software
Help Desk software is the umbrella term used for a range of products which are used by businesses to provide information and support to existing and prospective customers. Help Desk systems offer multiple communication channels, including phone, email and social media. Customer support and help desk service agents use such software to manage and respond to customer queries. In addition, they can create knowledge bases and self-help information websites that allow customers to resolve issues on their own, whilst the better solutions provide insights into the efficiency of customer support operations.
As the name suggests, industry-specific Help Desk software are applications designed for use in specific industries or functions, such as IT, telecoms, e-commerce, or HR.
|Live agent||$9/mo||Visit website|
|Team support||$65/mo||Visit website|
|Zoho Desk||Free||Visit website|
|Manage engine||$495/yr||Visit website|
The 11 Most Popular Industry Specific Help Desk Software Solutions
1. Freshservice is a cloud-based IT Help Desk and service management solution designed to enable organisations to simplify their IT operations. Features include a ticketing system, self-service portal, and knowledge base. There is also a mobile app for Android and iOS which allows IT administrators to service requests remotely.
The solution provides ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) ready components that help IT administrators manage incidents, problems, changes and software releases, and assets. Freshservice’s Asset Management module enables organisations to exercise control over their IT assets by adding, tagging, tracking and de-linking software and hardware.
There is also a gamification feature called “Arcade” which enables IT agents to score points and gamify IT-related tasks. Administrators are able to generate pre-defined reports for incidents and changes using various filters.
The software can be integrated with third party apps for managing the Service desk.
2. Samanage is cloud-based software suitable for companies seeking a help desk solution that offers IT service management (ITSM) functionality. Samanage offers comprehensive service desk functionality that helps businesses respond to service requests in a timely manner, resulting in improved support. In the system, users can manage service tickets and company assets. It can be accessed from any device with a web browser.
Samanage integrates with Google Apps, Salesforce and over 140 other applications. Users can submit service tickets through either email or the in-built self-service portal. The portal empowers users to search for a solution independently using the system’s configurable knowledge base. Customers can also submit a new request and check on the status of pending issues.
3. Zendesk is a web-based help desk management solution offering customisable tools to build a customer service portal, knowledge base and online communities. It offers a customisable front-end portal, live chat facility, and applications like Salesforce and Google Analytics. Zendesk is used in a wide range of industries, like technology, government, media and retail.
Zendesk’s online customer portal helps support agents to keep track of tickets raised, and their status. Customers can go through from existing tickets to find answers to queries similar to their question and, if not satisfied, can raise their own tickets in the portal. Zendesk also offers branding of support pages with business logos, themes and brand images.
The solution allows businesses to build a knowledge base to address some of the most prominent and repetitive questions, so that customers can go through the basic set of questions asked in general. Businesses also can set up online communities where customers can post queries and reply on ongoing discussion threads.
4. LiveAgent is an online live chat platform for e-commerce businesses at the small to mid-sized level. The platform offers a live chat application, ticket management, online self-service portals and change and licence management, and can be purchased either as standalone applications or as an integrated suite.
LiveAgent offers a selection of broader CRM (Customer Relationship Management) applications such as marketing and sales force automation in cooperation with a variety of third party software companies. The solution provides a ticket management system where a “ticket” contains the complete stream of chat messages, emails, phone calls or messages from other communication channels between the customer and support staff.
5. TeamSupport (https://www.teamsupport.com/) is B2B customer support software that helps teams collaborate together by eliminating miscommunications, improving customer communication and swiftly addressing client issues.
A key feature is the assignment of a unique ticket ID to customer requests coming in through multiple channels. Ticket automation allows staff to flag messages by type or word.
The Knowledge Base tool suggests solutions to clients trying to solve their own minor issues, freeing support staff to handle the tougher level challenges that may arise. The Water Cooler provides a dedicated place for customer support staff to collaborate and discuss issues.
The solution, suitable for businesses of all kinds and types of industry, allows support agents to view customer details, centralise their contacts in a database and generate customer reports.
6. SysAid is a cloud-based IT service management service desk and help desk solution that helps users in businesses of all sizes resolve technology-related issues. Key features include helpdesk automation, asset and patch management, network monitoring, reports and performance analysis with customisable dashboards.
SysAid ITSM offers management features for incidents, problems, changing service level targets and resolution knowledge. It also offers features like a self-service portal, password reset and automation of service desk processes. IT Asset Management features include mobile device management, patch management, hardware and network monitoring and discovery.
The solution provides standard and custom reports on performance, and status related to incidents, problems, quality, project tasks and more. It integrates with third party applications like Salesforce, Google Apps and SAP, and there is a mobile app for remote use.
7. xSellco Helpdesk is help-desk software designed for e-commerce sellers that supports multi-channel marketplaces, offering over 60 e-commerce integrations, and centralises customer support queries from websites and marketplaces like Amazon, eBay and Walmart.
Products, order details, delivery information and previous communications are automatically attached to every incoming query. The solution also prioritises users’ queries based on the message urgency.
With Support templates and SmartTags, users can use automatically suggested replies for common queries. XSellco Helpdesk also automatically translates the messages from customers into users’ preferred language, enabling them to cater to multiple territories.
The solution allows users to manage all of the customers’ queries through Twitter and Facebook integration. They can also access the application through dedicated Android and iOS mobile apps.
8. Zoho Desk is a cloud-based help desk solution catering to businesses of all sizes. Key features include management of customer support tickets, a customer support portal, contract management and report creation.
The solution collates interactions from various media (phone, chat, email, social media, customer portal, forums and forms) and presents them in one place. Tasks such as ticket assignment, service escalations, notification rules and time-based actions can be automated by setting workflow rules. The solution provides customisable and scheduled reports, happiness ratings and a graphical dashboard for analysing customer satisfaction.
With integration with Zoho’s CRM platform, customer information can be fed into tickets logged in Zoho Desk, which enables service agents to know more about customers.
The solution also enables users to make custom changes, such as renaming tabs, adding new departments, defining business hours, and the addition of help folders.
9. ManageEngine Service Desk is a help desk management platform. It includes help desk and IT management applications, as well as project management, contract management and features for ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) compliance.
The solution incorporates tools to help users establish process automation. It offers an automatic ticket dispatch function, which distributes new tickets to technicians based on their existing caseload and availability. This helps to manage staff workload, whilst minimising the accumulated number of unassigned tickets. Other tools include asset management, a knowledge base builder, project management functions and service level agreement management.
Tickets can be automatically classified, categorised, prioritised and assigned based on a variety of dynamic criteria or roles. The solution is available on premise or in the cloud.
10. JitBit HelpDesk is an IT help desk management solution that offers automatic routing, incident, inbox and ticket management, and self-service portal functionalities. Designed for companies of all sizes, the product is available both on premise and in the cloud, and features a mobile app for Android and iOS devices.
JitBit features ticket management which allows users to manage requests from multiple sources by assigning them customised tags and categories. These queries are then routed to the most appropriate support team member based on their availability and area of expertise.
Mobile apps allow users to track the status of their requests using their mobile devices, and ensure that agents are aware of their pending requests.
With the help of customised reporting, and dashboards to track and monitor KPIs, users gain a complete view of all their help desk activities.
11. AzureDesk is a help desk software for businesses of all sizes. The tool centralises all customer-facing information and unifies support emails, support tickets and questions that come in from customers via email.
With AzureDesk businesses can provide their customers with a knowledge base including a search function for self-service answer finding. The self-service customer portal displays trending topics and questions, helping users to find the answers they need for themselves. Customers can also raise a ticket via the portal, and email to receive assistance from help desk agents. AzureDesk provides help desk agents with access to an intelligent internal knowledge base enabling them to answer questions easily.
The solution provides a support site with predictive search of all knowledge base, FAQs, topics and articles, and also gives users visibility of ticket creation time, issue type, issue status, priority and more.
Choosing Industry-Specific Help Desk Software
As the name implies, these types of software are aimed at specific industries or company functions, so one size does not fit all. Therefore, it is incumbent on companies thinking of acquiring one of these systems to make sure that it is appropriate to their particular industry and requirements.
Then it is a case of performing the proper due diligence on a particular software solution in terms of reading the online reviews and user feedback, and then arranging for free trials and product demos from software vendors. It also worth exploring what support options are available – phone, live chat, email, social media etc.
Types of Industry-Specific Help Desk Software
Industry Specific Help Desk Software tends to be categorised by method of deployment.
Enterprise solutions – sophisticated products with advanced features such as survey management, service request fulfilment, account management, and IT asset management;
On premise – licenced proprietary solutions that companies purchase and install on their own servers;
Open source – applications that gives developers access to its source code, so companies can modify to suit their needs; and
Web applications – either Saas (Software-as-a-service), or cloud-based, solutions that are hosted on the vendor’s servers.
Industry specific help desk software products are applications designed to bring help desk capabilities to specific industries and company functions. They fulfil, however, the same basic purpose as all such platforms – namely to provide information and support to existing and prospective customers.